Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sunshine and Smiles with Grandpa

Grandma is working, so I (grandpa) hi-jacked her blog today.... :o)

Today I get to hang out with a beautiful little princess that we have the privilege to call our granddaughter. I sit here and I watch...watch this little girl in absolute amazement. I watch her playing, I watch her sleeping... I just watch. There is not a second that goes by that I am not completely fascinated by her.
When she smiles, she smiles with her whole face....it's a look of total happiness. Her smile is contagious. You can't  help but smile yourself when you look at her. She just glows. I don't know how else to explain it. Each smile wraps me a little tighter around her precious little fingers.

I know Kathy has talked about how Madilyn is here to teach us something, and I believe she is right. Despite her struggles and her ups and downs, she still smiles.

Maybe it's because I'm a little older now than I was when my own children were little, but I can honestly say that little Miss Madilyn has definitely taught me a few things. She has taught me patience, more than I ever imagined. I have always been pretty patient and low-key, but she has shown me that everything happens when the time is right. It may not be when you want it to happen, but it will...hang in there. (She has her grandmother's stubborn side..) She has taught me love.. love to a whole new depth. She is such an amazing little girl. A fighter who is determined to take on the whole world and to leave her mark on everyone who meets her. She has also taught me that anything is possible...never give up.

I watch Kathy with her too... a lot... Now there is an amazing woman. She works tirelessly with Madilyn, taking her to every therapist appointment... constantly working with her on her own type of physical therapy in a way that combines playtime with hard work. She pushes herself and Madilyn to take the next step and never questions it. She doesn't look for notoriety or praise for doing it, yet she has my utmost respect for her perseverance and determination. Unbelievable.... I am extremely lucky to have both of them in my life.
Well.... I think I've babbled on enough for right now...Miss Madilyn and I are going for a walk to enjoy this beautiful day. In parting, I ask you to take a deep breath, look around.... and know... just know... that life is good...

No comments:

Post a Comment